Sunday, March 21, 2010

Invasion

This weekend my blissful silence was invaded.  My brother and sister-in-law had a surprise visit.  And they brought their dog.  Their German Wire Haired Pointer who's a year old.  Have I mentioned he's hyper?  

While they were off making the visit rounds I was trying to keep him from terrorizing my furry family.  Dogs have an intricate dance they do when they are making friends or engaging other dogs in play.  This dog didn't seem to read the other dogs body language.  What I found most interesting was that Reba and Tessa my two grumpy girls handled him fairly well.  There was very little growling and they were quite tolerant.  I could even leave Reba loose in the yard with him and not have her beat him up.  (This is pretty outstanding for her.)  While I have been working with them on their dog manners it still surprised me.  Joey and Bella on the other hand actually were snapping at the cheeky young fellow. 

Eventually, Bella would hide in the fields well away from the young upstart and poor Joey would snap and leap at the wildly barking and bouncing dog.  Neither were particularly impressed with their company.  In fact, Reba and Joey stayed glued to the deck door begging to come into the house.  These are my two outside dogs?  Interesting.  

With Kobe back enroute to his home my dogs are taking some well deserved respite.

No comments: