Friday, March 13, 2009

Is It Spring???

It is March.  This is what my yard looks like.  Yes, that's snow.  A lot of it.  Last year at this time there was mud and what I like to call the smell of money (manure) in the air.  This year there is snow.  After two days of brutally frigid weather (-50C) I welcomed the balmy -10.  Today as I write this it's a gorgeous +5C.  Whooo hooo!  Thursday morning, just as the weather broke into more tolerable temperatures spring made itself known.

This lovely young addition made himself known.  Let me tell you, we were thanking our lucky stars he was born Thursday morning and not Wednesday morning.  I was visiting with Buddy's breeders and their neighbors lost 2 calves during the cold snap.  It was simply too cold for the calf to survive if you didn't find it immediately.
When I came home from work, I was greeted with a second bull calf.  Freshly licked clean.  I love when the new babies come.  It tells me spring and a fresh start is here.  Now if only the snow would melt.

No comments: