Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Heart Attack


Yesterday afternoon I wandered outside to collect the mail. While outside I made my way back to the corrals to check on my critters. Bella came bounding up to me spraying blood with each stride. Her entire right side of her head/neck area was bright red. My heart lodged in my throat I tried to get her to lie down so I could take a closer look. There was so much blood I couldn't tell where it was coming from. Running back into the house I pulled on a pair of latex gloves.

Bella knew something was up and I was home alone so I was on my own. Using my happy voice I coax her into her shed, using my hands I carefully start sifting through her hair looking for the source of the blood wondering all the while if this would be another vet bill. Meanwhile blood continues to stream from her head. Gently lifting her ear I discover the source. She has somehow sliced the tip of her ear open. Relief settles in. I have no idea how she cut her ear but I was so happy it was something so small. I locked her up so I could check to make sure the bleeding stopped.

You could tell it was a long way from her heart because when I let her out she was as playful and bouncy as ever. Other than the dried blood all over her side you couldn't even tell she'd hurt herself.

Photo: Bella after being cleaned up a bit.

2 comments:

Callie said...

OMG! It's never ending, I know! Love you side photos, partial to border collies, have one myself. Hope Bella heals well! Happy New Year!

Country Girl said...

Thanks, I hope to get some new pics up this week (have to go to town to do that - lol). Happy New Year!