Monday, November 12, 2012

Patience

My dogs have been teaching me about patience.  You see, I unexpectedly became very sick Saturday night.  My high energy Diva, trailed me from couch to toilet and back to bed.  She "watched my back" while my body was ravaged with a severe flu.  Ryder maintained his watch beside me in bed.  As I shivered and shook he shoved his body against me and rested his head on my lap.

The following day, I spent on the couch curled up and fighting nausea with every movement.  Diva and Ryder took turns curling up next to me.  The were incredibly patient.  They didn't get walked.  They didn't get played with.  They didn't even get toileted properly - instead just got tossed into the run.  Finally by 3:30 I gave up and called HealthLink (a hotline to a nurse).  They insisted I get myself to a hospital.  By 6 pm my mom was navigating the very icy roads to take me to the Fort Saskatchewan Emergency room.  By 4:30 am I was being released with a strict "diet" and no physical activity mandate.  It was 5 in the morning when I pulled in to go to bed.  The dogs were pumped to see us.  (And bonus the little Boston Terrier I'm babysitting didn't have any accidents!)

They patiently settled back in to sleep.  They remained quiet letting me sleep until 10 am.  Even as I've moved from couch to bed and back again they've been incredibly tolerant.  There has been no whining.  There has been no destruction.  They've taken turns sitting or lying with me.  As I type this Diva is curled up with her back pressed against my thigh.

My dogs humble me.  Teach me patience.  And teach me the power of unconditional love.

1 comment:

Liz Stout said...

Beautifully written. Its incredible their understanding of situations. They're growing into quite the proper lady and gentleman it seems!