Friday, July 30, 2010

I Cried

Today has been a busy day.  Tessa and Reba both went into the vet clinic.  Tessa has been peeing on her beds.  So much that I haven't been able to keep them clean.  My mom who dog sat while I was in Las Vegas commented that she's doing it a lot.  So I called the clinic, explained what was wrong and asked if Tessa could accompany Reba today.

I had to laugh.  They asked for me to bring in a pee sample.  So there I was out this morning, latex gloves on, disposable dish in hand, dog on leash.  Thank goodness my dogs have a "Pee On Command" button.  Tessa did look at me a little strangely as I shoved the dish under her ass as she was peeing.  I'm pretty sure I caused pee interuptus as she had another pee almost immediately after.  

Transferring the urine into a container for transport I washed up, started my truck and loaded up.  Off to the vet we went.  Reba had X-rays to see her puppies.  She has three and possibly a fourth puppy.  The happy part is the puppies are all about the same size.  No huge and no tiny babies to worry about.  We look on track to have a healthy delivery.  

When Sam saw Tessa she checked for scalding.  This happens when dogs leak urine.  She seemed to be not too bad.  We now have some drugs to help with the incontinence, and her pee is enroute to the lab to be checked (just to make sure we're not dealing with an infection).  Sam did say she needs to loose weight which will be a challenge as she doesn't get very much food as it is.  She's just slowing down on all fronts.

I know it's a little thing, but I cried on the way home.  I don't think I'm ready for her to be old.  She still has that spark but doesn't have the drive.  Yesterday she didn't want to go for our walk.  Instead she waited on the cement pad by the house.  I will do what it takes to keep her quality of life high.  And if that means I find doggy diapers, it means I find doggy diapers.  But I cry at the thought of my loyal companion and friend no longer by my side.  We have been through a lot together.  It breaks my heart to see her grow old and know that the inevitable is creeping up on us.  (My friend put her horse down today - which adds to my sadness.)

No comments: