Thursday, December 29, 2011

Something I Thought I'd Never Do...

Feeling at loose ends with Whiskey I'd emailed Roxy's breeder.  I asked if they were interested in a free breeding lease.  I just don't need a broodmare and don't want to breed her for no reason.  Really, how many babies do I need?  The response?  Would I be willing to sell her?


Now what?

Do I take the reasonable offer for a broodmare sound only horse?  I'm relatively confident she'd be taken care of.  I think she'd make a nice cross with their stallion.  Or do I hold onto her?

Remember this is a horse I love.  She's such a nice mare.  She has a great disposition, personality and athletic ability.  Even though she's permanently lame.


She'll never produce the cutter of my dreams.  She's rather large for that.  And ethically I can't breed her just cause she has a uterus.

What to do?  What to do?


Liz Stout said...

Write a pro/con list and do the logical thing? That sounds like a rough decision... Best of luck.

Chelsi said...

Tough call... If the home is a good one and you were comfortable doing a breeding lease with them why not sell with a buy-back option? There is a big difference (emotionally) between selling her to a stranger and finding a home for her where you can keep in touch with the owners and tabs on her welfare. If you think that you might not be able to keep her for the rest of her days then I also say jump on a good home while you have one that wants her... (that is what I am going through right is hard to have a horse you need to sell but are unwilling to sell to just anyone!)