Saturday, December 12, 2009

Reba's New Digs

Deciding I was going to have to move Reba into the house until the cold weather broke, I was scrambling for options.  You see, our weather was not supposed to warm up until next Wednesday.  And that, my friends is a long time for her to hang out in a crate in the house.  Talking with my mom, she came up with a brilliant plan.  The garage is insulated and has a large mounted space heater in it.  We'll run the heater until it's time for bed before turning it off.  This raises the heat in the garage but not so much it'll overheat the dog.  

Next, I moved a crate into the garage and to insulate it, placed a horse winter blanket over top.  Then I put some fresh straw in the bottom - one of nature's supreme insulators.  Viola!  Reba's new digs!  I'm leaving her blanket on.  Our temperature without windchill is supposed to hit -38C in town meaning it'll be colder out here.  Also meaning I'll be doing frequent checks on the critters to ensure everyone stays warm and safe.  


Here's Reba enjoying the snugly goodness of her improvised house.

Update: 9:00 pm   Reba is now in a crate in the house.  She just couldn't seem to warm up.  And Joey is in the garage.  He seemed to be doing okay but was really frosty which makes me nervous.  I'd rather err on the side of caution when it comes to the critters and cold.

1 comment:

The Wright Mommy said...

Aww, Reba and Tessa had a slumber party, fun!!!