Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Darn Bella!

Before the cold weather hit, I had gone to the effort to build Bella a straw house.  In short, I took square straw bales and built her a shelter.  Yes, I know most guardians just live out in the open and find shelter where they can.  But this is my dog and I have this compulsion to take care of her properly!  So I built her a house.

I had noticed the roof seemed to be caving in but didn't have time to shore it up.  Bella had been nesting on her collapsed house so I'm guessing she's the reason the roof fell in.  After all, why go into the house when you can sleep on it!  Knowing a wicked winter storm was headed this way I strategically placed some plywood on the back and on one side creating a lean to.  Would that blasted dog go into her house?  Nope!  Instead she chose to lay on the ground in front of her house.  Once the snow stopped, I pulled the roof off her house and she is now, once again, happily nesting in her deluxe bed of straw.  

Of course I still worry about her.  It's been bloody cold here.  But how do you force a dog to seek shelter?  Especially one as large as this one?  Sigh...

1 comment:

The Wright Mommy said...

You can lead a hors to water but you can't make him drink....you can build a dog a house but.....