Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The End Is Near

It is that time of year.  A time when most people look back upon the past year and forward to a new one.  A time of fresh beginnings.  Looking back I did not accomplish many of the goals I had set out for myself.  I had wanted to have Reba ready to compete with but she is still no where near that level of training.  I keep telling myself slow and steady win the race.  

This is the year that Joey entered my life and Buddy left it - both irreversibly connected in a manner I could have never predicted.  Joey has filled my heart with such joy and happiness and Buddy left my confidence shaken.  I believe everything happens for a reason and I try to learn from all the experiences that come my way.

This is also the year that Tessa broke another leg.  I am so thankful I took the opportunity to have Vickie Close take professional pictures of her on sheep.  They will be a keepsake for all our time together.  It is becoming very clear that Tessa will have to have a limited working career from this point on.  She'll need to work to be happy but she'll not be able to complete the training required to do field work.  And perhaps this was the kick in the pants I needed to get more focused with poor neglected Reba.

Reba's training needs to be my focus for the upcoming year.  She deserves to be finished and I need to see what she can do.  

My horse goals are somewhat in limbo.  I need to know if Whiskey will remain to be sound and I want to make one final attempt to breed her.  With luck she'll catch and not have twins!  If she stays sound I'd love to get her going English and try my hand at jumping her.  She's big and powerful so who knows.  Roxy and I head off to Jason Hanson's stable tomorrow and she'll begin cutting training.  I really should sell her but keep getting stuck on the "what if...", as in what if she's really good?  And little Izzy gets to hang out being a baby for a little longer.  Because she hadn't had her feet done before coming here her hoof angles are not very good and I want those correct before she does anything.

My goals for 2010:
1) Work with Reba and Joey a minimum of 4 days per week.
2) Enter Reba and Joey in at least one competition.
3) Run a half marathon (21 kms) in February.
4) Start Izzy and Roxy.
5) Fingers crossed I get accepted into my Master's program - I'll know in Feb.
6) Keep an open mind.

As my friend Jeanne always says, "There's plan A, and then there's what really happens!"

No comments: