Sunday, February 8, 2009

Run Time

Prior to her injury I would take Tessa running with me.  It was an ideal way to help her stay in shape as well as spend some quality time with me.  Normally, she runs off leash in the ditch but today I kept her on leash with me.  You see it's her first run in over 6 months.  She was slightly excited.  I have had an antibiotic resistant sinus infection so have not run for around 2 months.  I was also slightly excited to go for a run.

Well, the word run being used loosely.  I decided that because both of us were not in shape it would be best to start out easily and carefully.  The plan was to run twenty minutes doing 1-1 ones.  1-1 ones is basically 1 minute running and 1 minute walking.  This was to give both our bodies a break and to ensure I'd be getting enough air.  

When Tessa saw me pull on my running tights she howled her joy.  At the door she jigged and danced around my legs as I pulled on my shoes.  It was a bit of a battle to get her to sit still long enough for me to get her boots on, snapping her leash on we were off.  Bucking and bouncing at the end of the leash she knew exactly what was happening.  

When the watch beeped signaling our first walk break Tessa strained at the end of the leash.  I was quickly realizing she was not interested in taking this slowly.  Normally I would put a chain on her to remind her of her manners but today I just had her nylon collar which was not conveying the message of "wait".  We lurched through the run with Tessa straining all the way.

Pulling into the driveway, I reached down and unsnapped her leash.  She ran up to the door to wait for me to catch up.  In the house with her boots off, laying beside me as I did my stretches I looked down to see her smiling a big doggy grin.  She was one happy dog.  And I was one happy human.

1 comment:

Marlos ACE said...

Sounds like a good run, enjoyed your blog!