Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Simple Pleasures



Perhaps it's the seasonal change. Perhaps its the fact that after a week off I've had to return to my "real" job, but I've been feeling very reflective. I live far enough north at this time of year we lose sunlight at an alarming rate. This means my morning chores are completed in the dark. And my evening chores are completed in the dark. In order to arrive at work on time I need to leave the property by 8:00 in the morning. Chores take 30 - 40 minutes doing the bare minimum. Meaning I have the pleasure of doing chores by yard and flashlight. When cleaning the dog kennels (that at this point don't have a light), I hold the flashlight in one hand and scan for poop. Next I maneuver the laden shovel and flashlight out of the kennel to the poop drop spot. All this time the dogs are cavorting about around me, waiting to go for their "run" in the field.

I find the routine of my chores strangely soothing. Everyday I do the same things. You would think I'd get tired of it all. I will admit to taking an animal hiatus for a few years. I had one dog and put the horse in a barn. This freed up an astounding amount of time. But was not nearly as rewarding. I missed the welcome I receive. When I go out in the morning or when I come home from work the animals are enthusiastically waiting.

There is a special kind of purity in watching the dogs play in the field. Having a dog lean against your legs for a pet. Seeing the horses prance and blow with their release into the frosty fields. It makes me smile. It some days makes my heart feel like its going to pop out of my chest with love. Animals present such unconditional love. All they ask is that you take care of them. Spend some time with them.

My animals help make me a better person. A person I'd want to know.

No comments: