Monday, February 20, 2012

On Running

Dear reader, you may or may not want to read this.  It really doesn't have much to do with animals.  It's really just my rambling about running right now.  You see, a long time ago I was a real runner.  I ran consistently a minimum of four days a week.  I ran in sleet, rain, snow, cold, and with a sinus system full of buggers.  (I did warn you about reading.  Although the sleet part may have been an exaggeration for effect...)  After a health enforced running holiday I'm back on track.  Well, kinda.  I've been a wee bit inconsistent.  A fair weather runner if you will. 

Today, after scarfing down 3 (3!!!) Red Velvet Cupcakes fresh from the oven, I waited 30 minutes and then changed to hit the treadmill.  It had snowed here over the past day or so and fighting a head cold I just wasn't up to slogging through the snow, while telling myself I was enjoying myself.  Running on the treadmill has some advantages.  One, it takes less clothes - thus saving my laundry.  Two, it's conveniently located.  This was my first time running on the treadmill in the evening.  It was a bit disconcerting running into my reflection on the window.  Now this is probably TMI (TMI= too much information) - but I'm gonna tell ya anyhow.  So when I run on my treadmill I like to wear a pair of shorts and a running bra. 

*shocked silence*

Just wait for it.

Tonight while I was running into my reflection I noticed something.  I noticed that I seem to run crooked.  So with my cupcakes sitting like lead in my gut, I persevered and kept running.  Kept working on my technique.  Even when gurking up slime in my throat (I did say I was fighting a head cold.)  I kept my eye on my reflection and made corrections to my form.  It was then that I noticed something.  Something odd.  Ready for more TMI? 

Brace yourself.

My boobs were jigging like crazy.  Now, I don't see myself as one of those, uhm, endowed people.  I could if I should choose, get away bra free.  There I was running away, watching the sway from side to side.  Jiggling like Jello.  Fascinating really when one doesn't expect to see it.  There I was wondering: have I always done this?  Or is this one of my weight gain side effects?  Either way the decision was made to purchase a new sports bra.  Just in case. 

And readers?  *crickets chirping* 

Sigh. 

Dear readers I'd like to report that I am officially over the hump.  I'm officially running 20 minutes easily and comfortably.  It seems I've got my running groove back.  Next steps will be to stretch out to 30 minutes or if I don't have time to up the intensity. 

For your viewing pleasure (or horror) here's a pic of myself taken at the Melissa's Road Race (10K) a few years ago.  


Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment.  Full effort is full victory.
Gandhi

2 comments:

Liz Stout said...

Bhahahaha. You crack me up. Like a lot.

The Wright Mommy said...

LMAO!!!!!!