Thursday, February 9, 2012

I'm A Dreamer Too


Merriam-Webster defines the word dream as,
4. a) a strongly desired goal or purpose 
 b) something that fully satisfies a wish
I have been contemplating the importance of dreams for quite a while now.  Today I had the opportunity to hear Ray Zahab speak.  It brought home the importance that I have dreams.  You see, my dreams have kind of taken a bit of a backseat.  I had forgotten how to dream.  My daily grind had taken over.  I need the dreams to feed my soul.  I need them to bring a sparkle to my eye.  I need them to light a fire in my belly.  Ray's talk also made me feel slightly guilty.  While I have faced hardship, I haven't necessarily been placed in a situation where I have had to put every ounce of my being into developing a positive outcome.  I haven't necessarily physically challenged myself.  Instead, I've allowed roadblocks change the flow and direction of my dreams, and in some cases suffocating them.

My mission?  To take back control of my dreams.  Here.  Today.  I pledge to allow my dreams to flourish.  I will put plans into place to allow my dreams to become reality.  I will challenge myself and test my limits.  I will commit.

One dream that I allowed to drift away was my goal of running a marathon.  Health set back caused me to table it.  Really, after hearing Ray speak I'm being slightly ridiculous.  Will it be hard?  Yes.  Will I need to be careful and smart about it?  Yes.  But hear me now - I will do it.  My goal:  Las Vegas Marathon.  Let's be real here - I'm not entirely sure I'll have time to train.  I'd have to start training for it in September.  That means work, school, dogs, and serious running. This is a major time commitment.  However, if I plan to "just finish" then I can get by with only running 3-4 days a week, keeping my long run day on the weekend.  Plus it's a flat course so I can also get by with just running - no fancy training strategies.  Plus I have a sneaky suspicion that the NFR rodeo will be on at the same time...  Hmmmm....

I have other things I'm bumping up my list and adding to the bucket list too.  Why?  Because I'm a dreamer too!

1 comment:

Liz Stout said...

Marathons are so super intimidating...and I think you can TOTALLY do it.

And then find your super-horse, and then make the dogs super-star-professionals, and then, and then, and then....