Saturday, January 2, 2010

Crazy Rules

There is a local stable who is looking for someone to teach introductory riding lessons.  It was a position I was intensely interested in and that I would be good at.  I would love teaching children and adults entering into the sport.  There is one small, itty-bitty problem.  

If I were to teach learn to ride lessons at a stable that is non-competitive and predominantly English riders, I would loose my Amateur status.  This is not a big deal for me.  However, not only would I loose my Amateur status, I would also loose my NonPro status.  You see, the NCHA (National Cutting Horse Association) is rather strict.  I have actually just regained my Amateur status as I have not competed, or taken any form of re-numeration for horse related activities for 5 years!  That's right - 5!!  It does not matter if the horse events had nothing to do with cutting.  Heck, I didn't even have to ride a horse.  It would still get me bumped into the Open or Professional category.  It doesn't matter that I've never actually competed or earned money cutting.  Wow!  Those are some eye opening rules!

I get it - that it's purpose is to protect the people who don't train.

So after a conversation with my cutting trainer, my lesson giving never got off the ground.  Too bad.  I have a lot I could share with newcomers.  

No comments: