Friday, June 15, 2012

Herbal Help

I was given the lead that Bach Flower Remedies could be something that might help Ryder.  I've really felt something was off with him.  He seemed sad.  Worried.  I went to the health food store to see what they had, and have started the dogs on Rescue Remedy.  This stuff is supposed to be good for stress.  Since I'm stressed I figured my dogs might be having a reaction to that.  I've been putting drops in their water, and I give Ryder a squirt before I leave for work in the morning.

I wasn't sure if it was helping until tonight.  Tonight I was cutting the grass.  Diva was tied behind the house to the deck (she wants to "work" the horse) and Ryder was loose.  Ryder mostly followed me around, laying down and watching from a safe distance.  I was surprised at how busy my little subdivision was.  I happened to be cutting grass in the front, Ryder lying by my truck when a couple with a little fluffy white dog approached.  Now, as embarrassing as this is to admit - my dogs are not the "nice" dogs of the neighborhood.  Pulling the mower to a stop I called Ryder.  With no toys, I played with him while the couple and dog walked past both times.  He was awesome.  He wasn't as "alert" as he can be (particularly when myself or the property is concerned).  He didn't even bark!  A

I kept mowing while two other families went past.  He didn't race out to bark at them.  He recalled to the mower and listened really good.  I was in the back area when another dog walked past and he sat by the horse fence and watched.  No barking.  No racing towards the fence.  I was thrilled with his behavior.

I don't know if it was the herbs.  I don't know if it was the fact Diva, his sidekick, was tied up.  I just know I was happy with him acting like a well adjusted dog.

1 comment:

MTWaggin said...

By the way RR works great for Mom's too!!!