Saturday, June 8, 2013

Value

I've been indulging my horse obsession lately.  One thing I've been putting a lot of thought into is what I want.  The strangest thing has happened.  There's a deep part of me that wants time (and money) to travel.  That wasn't the strangest thing...  The strangest thing is that I kinda, sorta think I may want to move back into the rodeo world.  Barrel Racing and Team Roping.  The other thing that I've really been thinking that I want to do is to have a couple of brood mares.  Why?  Well, I kinda enjoy raising babies.  Time wise it works.  I can also easily winter them at the farm.

So I've been doing some research.

*cough* It's not like I don't have anything else to with my time. *cough*

I started out by looking at bloodlines, and how much horses sell for with a variety of bloodlines.  I was amazed at how much people think their animals are valued.  There are stallions with OK bloodlines that are only halter broke selling for $7500.  These animals don't necessarily have performance proven bloodlines.  Say what??  You see a lot of broodmares with no recognizable names mass producing babies.  I started this with no preconceived ideas.  I just knew cutting horses were going to be out of my price range to do it right so I wanted to see what else sold.  I'll admit I've become a horse pedigree snob.    There are so many horses out there that have never been broke and are herd sires and brood mares.  How can you know whether a horse is worth breeding if you have no idea of it's trainability or working personality?  It's athletic ability will have never been tested.  It's been quite the eye opener.  I still haven't decided how I want to focus my energy but it's been an interesting journey.


No comments: